See all my articles on The Conversation at this link and listed below.
- Stewart, Miranda (15 August 2022), Why the Stage 3 tax cuts should be replaced, Australian Financial Review
- Stewart, Miranda and Plunkett, David (18 August 2022), New Childcare EMTR Charts
- Stewart, Miranda (23 July 2021), Accounting for Care: The Intergenerational Report Fails to Value Parenting , Austaxpolicy.com blog, see also at Power to PersuadeStewart, Miranda and Wong, Teck Chi (6 July 2021), A Covid-19 Check for the Budget System
- Stewart, Miranda and Wong, Teck Chi (25 June 2021), Australia’s Handling of the Pandemic Ranked More Accountable than Most, But Not Perfect, The Conversation
- Stewart, Miranda (13 May 2021), Budget Forum 2021: Structural Changes but no Sustainability Reset, Austaxpolicy.com
- Wong, Teck Chi, Breunig, Robert, Stewart, Miranda (17 December 2020), How Can We Compare Tax Systems? , Austaxpolicy.com
- Stewart, Miranda (October 28, 2020), Blink and You’ll Miss It: What the Budget Did for Working Mums , The Conversation
- Stewart, Miranda and Maria Sandoval Guzman (June 4, 2020), Australia needs a sustainable green approach to tax reform , Austaxpolicy.com
- Stewart, Miranda and Teck Chi Wong, Open Budgets in a Time of COVID-19, Austaxpolicy.com
- Stewart, Miranda (April 7, 2020), The Government’s Fiscal Toolkit for COVID-19, Austaxpolicy.com
- Stewart, Miranda, ‘Tax Policy is Doing Too Little to Help the Squeezed Middle’, Australian Financial Review (20 May 2019); available at https://www.austaxpolicy.com/tax-policy-little-help-squeezed-middle/
- Stewart, Miranda, Key Challenges for the Re-elected Coalition Government: our experts respond (May 19, 2019), The Conversation
- Dissecting Tax Policies Ahead of the Election: Radio National Drive, 9 May 2019, with Patricia Karvelas
- Stewart, Miranda (2019) New Figures Put it Beyond Doubt: When it Comes to Company Tax We are a High Tax Country, in Part Because it Works Well for Us, The Conversation, 16 January 2019
- Sawer, Marian and Stewart, Miranda (2018) Gender Budgeting: Budgets and their blind spots Gendered Innovations in the Social Sciences , The Australian National University,
- Stewart, Miranda (2018), Seeking Sanity on GST Sanitary Tax Debate, Austaxpolicy: Tax and Transfer Policy Blog, 9 October 2018. Originally published at Australian Financial Review on Wednesday 3 October 2018
- Stewart, Miranda (2018), Mothers Have Little to Show for Extra Days of Work Under New Tax Changes, Austaxpolicy: Tax and Transfer Policy Blog, 21 June 2018; originally published at The Conversation, https://theconversation.com/mothers-have-little-to-show-for-extra-days-of-work-under-new-tax-changes-98467
- Stewart, Miranda (2018), Budget Forum 2018: Tax Caps and Tax Cuts: Good for Australia?, Austaxpolicy: Tax and Transfer Policy Blog, 14 May 2018.
- Stewart, Miranda & Wong, Teck Chi (2018), Open Budget Survey 2017 Part 2: What Can Australia Do to Improve Our Budget Process?, Austaxpolicy: Tax and Transfer Policy Blog, 2 May 2018.
- Stewart, Miranda and Wong, Teck Chi (2018) Open Budget Survey 2017: How Transparent is the Australian Budget?, 20 March.
- Stewart, Miranda and Wong, Teck Chi (2018) New Zealand, US and UK outrank Australia in scores on budget transparency, 20 March, The Conversation.
- Ingles, David and Stewart, Miranda (2018) How the Government can Pay for its Proposed Company Tax Cuts, 9 March (first published on The Conversation https://theconversation.com/how-the-government-can-pay-for-its-proposed-company-tax-cuts-92739 )
- Wong, Teck Chi and Stewart, Miranda (2017) New Approaches to Tax and Welfare in Australia and Korea, 13 December.
- Ingles, David, Murphy, Chris and Stewart, Miranda (2017) How Australia can afford to cut company tax, 17 November, Asia Pacific Policy Forum.
- Stewart, Miranda (2017) New Tax Treaty Will Close Loopholes That Allow Multinationals to Avoid Tax, 16 June.
- Stewart, Miranda (2017) Budget Forum 2017/Women in Economics: Tax, Transfers and Budget Fairness, 30 May.
- Ingles, David and Stewart, Miranda (2016) Election 2016 debate: are Scott Morrison’s budget super changes retrospective? Australian Financial Review, 9 May
- Stewart, Miranda (2016), The Contradictions of International Tax, Australian Institute of International Affairs, 11 August.
- Stewart, Miranda, Ingles, David, Pota, Shuchita and Thomas, Steve, Election 2016: Tax Policies of the Major Parties, Part I and Part II.
- Stewart, Miranda (2016) Ideas for Australia, Five Ideas to fix Australia’s tax system, The Conversation 21 April 2016. Included in Ideas for Australia: 10 Big Issues for Election 2016 and beyond: Sydney, 2016,
- Stewart, Miranda (2016) Gender neutral policies are a myth: why we need a woman’s budget, The Conversation, 16 March 2016 and at Austaxpolicy.com.
- Ingles, David and Stewart, Miranda (2016) Tax white paper: Our pension is too mean, our super tax concessions too generous, The Age, 13 January 2016.
- Stewart, Miranda (2015) FactCheck Reviewer: is Australia spending over $100m a day more than collected in revenue? The Conversation,13 February 2015.
- Stewart, Miranda (2015) It’s time to choose what kind of tax system we want, The Conversation, 2 March 2015.
- Stewart, Miranda (2015) Taxes and transfers: What will and what won’t be in the budget, The Conversation, 12 May 2015.
- Ingles, David and Stewart, Miranda (2015) Why pensioners are cruising their way around budget changes, The Conversation, 3 June 2015.
- Stewart, Miranda (2015) Hockey’s tax principles are on the money – now he must follow up, ABC The Drum, 16 July 2015.
- Emery, Joel and Stewart, Miranda (2015) Around the world, regulators are realising bitcoin is money, The Conversation, 12 August 2015.
- Stewart, Miranda (2015), Factcheck Reviewer, Is 50% of all income tax in Australia paid by 10% of the working population? (Ben Phillips).
- Emery, Joel and Stewart, Miranda (2014) Bitcoin ruling still doesn’t answer which country has the right to tax, The Conversation, 28 August 2014.
- Stewart, Miranda (2014) ‘Navigating international tax’, Advance, Crawford School’s quarterly public policy magazine – June-August 2014
- Stewart, Miranda (2014) Renewing Australian federalism – The Conversation: What you think of the challenges, 15 September 2014 (Edited Blog Series including more than 10 invited pieces, my own piece, recordings and live engagement; see https://theconversation.com/au/topics/renewing-federalism-12286 ).
- Stewart, Miranda (2014) Tax still the elephant in the (budget) room, The Conversation, 15 May 2014.
- Stewart, Miranda (2014) The G20 and the taxing issue of making big business pay, The Conversation, 6 January 2014.
- Stewart, Miranda (2013) The tussle over Australia’s company tax, The Conversation, 19 August 2013.
- Stewart, Miranda (2013) Chasing tax across countries: A test case, The Conversation, 5 June 2013,
- Stewart, Miranda (2013) A budget for citizens – but where is the tax reform mission? The Conversation, 15 May 2013.
- Stewart, Miranda (2012) Challenges await Australia’s new Tax Commissioner, The Conversation,19 November 2012.
- Stewart, Miranda (2012) Company tax and the limits of politics, The Conversation, 29 October 2012.
- Stewart, Miranda (2011) Housing and tax: Why is reform so hard? The Conversation, 3 October 2011.
- Stewart, Miranda (2011) Carbon tax a step towards reform, but working mothers miss out, The Conversation, 11 July 2011.
- Stewart, Miranda (2011) Tax, women and the Henry Review, The Conversation, 11 May 2011.
- Stewart, Miranda (2011) Five reforms to debate at the Tax Summit, The Conversation, 29 March 2011.
Selected Media Interviews and Appearances
- ‘Will Labor’s dividend imputation policy overwhelmingly affect the low paid?‘ RMIT ABC Factcheck, Josh Gordon (30 January 2019)
- ‘Good Policy vs Poor Politics’ Melbourne Institute Outlook Conference (November 2018
- ‘Wealth tax a spur to enter the workforce’, analysis by David Uren citing research by Miranda Stewart, Ben Phillips and David Ingles, The Australian, 1 October 2018
- ABC Radio and Podcast, Rear Vision, Tax and Happiness, 8 July 2018 (with Keri Phillips), Interview
- Why you should keep paying the ‘tampon tax’, The Sydney Morning Herald, 18 June 2018 by Jessica Irvine, Miranda Stewart comments
- Miranda Stewart speaks to ‘The Business’, ABC 18 June 2018
- Work to barely pay for returning mothers even after budget changes, Senate inquiry told, The Sydney Morning Herald, 17 June 2018 by Peter Martin, Miranda Stewart comments
- Pink tax versus blue tax: the case for taxing women lightly, The Sydney Morning Herald, 13 June by Peter Martin, Miranda Stewart comments
- Pink and Blue forms: is gender-based tax really as crazy as it sounds?, The Guardian, 8 June 2018 by Gareth Hutchens, Miranda Stewart comments during a public hearing from government’s income tax plan
- ABC Q&A, Live broadcast, 15 May 2017 (with Tony Jones as host; Chris Bowen Shadow Treasurer, Simon Birmingham, Minister for Education, Larissa Waters, Greens Senator, Innes Willox, Australian Industry Group)
- ABC Radio National Talks: Fixing Australia’s Democracy, Presentation and podcast, 23 June 2016, http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/latenightlive/rn-talks-scraping-thesystem/7532814
- GST increase in Australia: Winners and losers of tax changes, news.com.au, 22 July 2015 (comment)
- FactCheck: is 50 per cent of all income tax in Australia paid by 10 per cent of the working population? The Conversation, 28 July 2015 (reviewer)
- Being female is bad for your wealth, Australian Financial Review, 29 July 2015 (comment)
- Why the hard sell on personal income tax cuts? ABC The Drum, 25 August 2015
- Will Turnbull take up the GST challenge? ABC The Drum, 16 September 2015
- FactCheck: Has the government introduced 17 new taxes? The Conversation, 17 September 2015 (reviewer)
- Five ways to make state taxes fair and more efficient, The Age, 22 September 2015 (with John Freebairn)
- ABC, The Drum live, 2 November 2015 (interview)
- ABC 7.30 Report, 2 November 2015 (interview)
- Cryptocurrencies: what to study until there’s a ‘bachelor of bitcoin’, The Sydney Morning Herald, 5 November 2015 (comment)
- Tax white paper: Our pension is too mean, our super tax concessions too generous, The Age, 13 January 2016 (with David Ingles)
- What’s the fuss about tax reform? ABC radio, 8 February 2016 (interview)
- Tax and tax reform in Australia, ABC radio, 14 February 2016 (interview)
- Election 2016 debate: are Scott Morrison’s budget super changes retrospective? Australian Financial Review, 9 May 2016 (with David Ingles)
- How our tax system favours the wealthy, ABC radio, 16 February 2016 (interview)
- Sky News Live with Peter Van Onselen,’Tax reform’ Policy Panel, 19 May 2016 (interview panel)
- ABC TV Local 7pm News (interview), 8 June 2016
- ABC Radio National, RN Talks: Fixing the system, presenter Fran Kelly, guests John Keane, Philippa Collin, Miranda Stewart, Ian Marsh, 23 June 2016
- Labor Senator Jenny McAllister calls for party to back parental leave superannuation policy, ABC News, by Eliza Borrello (Miranda Stewart comments) 29 July 2016
- ‘Should the Treasurer be worried about the number of ‘zero net taxpayers’?’ The Sydney Morning Herald (with Peter Whiteford) November 3, 2016
- ‘Consider Republicans’ tax plan, says economist Ross Garnaut’, The Sydney Morning Herald, by Patrick Hatch (Miranda Stewart comments) April 12, 2017
- ‘Australia could follow US with any corporate tax changes’, The Constant Investor, by Alan Kohler (Miranda Stewart interview) April 20, 2017
- ‘Global oil giant Chevron loses to Australian Tax Office in landmark tax case’, Xinhuanet by Will Koulouris (Miranda Stewart comments) April 26, 2017
- ABC Radio National (Phillip Adams) (various) Late Night Live
- Devil’s Avocado Blog Interview, 2015 (http://www.hookturn.com.au/devilsavocado/10 )
- ‘Lower, simpler, fairer’ taxes within reach, though all governments must be on-board’, The Canberra Times 6 April 2015
- ‘Creating a tax system that is fair to all’, The Canberra Times, 10 September 2014
- ‘Fix outdated tax system Hockey tells G20 ministers‘, Interview, The Conversation (2014)