Books (Edited and Authored)
- STEWART, M (ed) (2017) Tax, Social Policy and Gender: Rethinking Equality and Efficiency (ANU Press)
- Cooper, G, Dirkis, M, STEWART, M, Vann, R (2017) Income Taxation: Commentary and Materials (8th ed Thomson Reuters, also co-author on 6th and 7th editions, substantially revised and updated)
- STEWART M and Flynn M (2014) Death and Taxes (6th ed, Thomson Reuters: Sydney; eds from 2004)
Research Chapters in Books
- Blakelock, S and STEWART, M (2018) ‘Australia’s Evolving General Anti-Avoidance Law’ in Tron, M (ed) The Structure of Anti-Avoidance Rules Vol 100a Cahiers de droit fiscal international (70th International Fiscal Association Congress, Sdu Fiscale & Financiele Uitgevers: The Netherlands).
- STEWART, M (2017) ‘The Doctrine of Sham and Tax Avoidance’ in Hashimzade N and Epifantseva Y (eds) The Routledge Companion to Tax Avoidance Research (Routledge: UK)
- STEWART, M, Voitchovsky, S and Wilkins, R (2017) ‘Women and top incomes in Australia’ in STEWART, M (ed) Tax, Social Policy and Gender: Rethinking Equality and Efficiency (ANU Press: Canberra)
Refereed Journal Articles
- Ingles, D and STEWART, M (2018) ‘Australia’s Company Tax: Options for Fiscally Sustainable Reform’ Australian Tax Forum Vol 33 Issue 1, 101-139
- Emery, J and STEWART, M (2017) ‘The taxing challenge of digital currency’ Journal of Banking & Finance Law and Policy 28: 236-269.
- Ingles, D and STEWART, M (2017) ‘Reforming Australia’s Superannuation Tax System and the Age Pension to Improve Work and Savings Incentives’ Asia & the Pacific Policy Studies doi: 10.1002/app5.184
Reports, Working Papers and Other Journal Articles
- STEWART, M (2018) ‘Redistribution between rich and poor countries’, Bulletin of International Taxation Vol 72, Number 4/5 (April/May 2018), 297-309 and TTPI Working Paper 4/2018
- STEWART, M (2018) ’Introduction to Special issue: What Shall We Do With Company Tax?’ Australian Tax Forum 2018 Vol 33 Issue 1 , 1-4 (Guest editor)
- Godber, P and STEWART, M (2017) ‘Speed dating in the new tax era: the BEPS Convention kicks off’ The Tax Specialist 16-27.
Submissions and Testimony to Parliamentary and Government Inquiries (Since 2015)
- Submission to Senate Economics and References Committee Inquiry into Treasury Laws Amendment (Personal Income Tax Plan) Bill 2018 (1 June 2018) and Supplementary Submission (14 June 2018) and Invited Testimony.
- Submission to Inspector-General of Taxation, Inquiry into Garnishee Orders (with Emily Millane) (June 2018; confidential).
- Submission to Senate Economics Committee Inquiry into Economic Security for Women in Retirement, 23 November 2016